Pork processing is about the slaughtering of pigs and conversion of pig meat into different useful products and forms for human consumption and for industrial application. There are different pork processed products, they include- Ham, Pork meat pizza, Bacon, Pork Sausage, Pork pies, Pork meatballs, etc.
Pork is the name for meat derived from pigs and it’s the most consumed meat in the world today, accounting for about thirty eighth of meat production worldwide. The consumption of pork is on the rise, nearly a hundred million metric loads of pork were consumed worldwide in 2006 and 109.905 million metric loads of pork in 2015 with China being the leading pork consumer with half the world’s consumed pork in 2017 occurring in China.
Statistically, we have
- Pork Consumption accounts for about $3 billion dollars in Nigeria and Ghana.
- In 2018, China was the leading global pork producer of about 54 million metric tons of pork in 2018.
- The global pig production and pork market value is estimated to reach $464 billion dollars by 2027 at a CAGR of 2%.
Pork is rich in B-complex vitamin (vitamin B1) and with its meat leaner than the meat of most domesticated animals, but is high in cholesterol and saturated fat whereas most domesticated animals, however is high in saturated fat.
Pork is one of the most well-liked meat in Japanese and Southeastern Asia, and is additionally quite common within the Western world. It’s extremely prized in Asian cuisines for its fat content and pleasant texture. Despite this immense quality of pork, some cultures and non secular sects forbid the consumption of pork.
Nigerians are embracing Pork consumption like never before because of the relative ease of raising pigs when compared to other animals. Indeed there is a growing interest in pig farming in Nigeria and other African nations. Pork is rich in protein and can help boost protein need of Nigerians and create employment opportunities for Nigerian youth. Pork includes a superb worth chain as a result of several different useful products that could be produced from its processing creating it an honest supply of financial gain for farmers and employment generation for youth to seize. To effectively maximize the huge profit from pig farming, farmers and agripreneurs need to embrace industrial pork processing. The profit lies in the pork processing when compared to pig farming.
Pork Processing Steps:
Pork processing involves 3 steps, namely-
- Pig Slaughter Line
- Carcass Finishing
- Further Processing
1. Pig Slaughter line involves the below stages;
- Pre – Slaughter handling: The live pigs are led through the stables and runways for the purpose of slaughtering them.
- Stunning: is the process where these live pigs to be slaughtered are rendered unconscious before they are eventually killed using either some gases such as CO2 gas, etc., or electrical means. There are 3 major technologies used to effect stunning which are Electrical, Gas and Percussion.
- Bleeding and Hollow Knife System: The system can be designed in either vertical or horizontal bleeding systems with ergonomic manual workstations to advanced hollow knife blood collection systems. This system consists of slaughtering the pigs using knives and draining out blood.
- Scalding: This involves dousing the slaughtered pigs with boiling liquid or steam to make it easy to remove their hair. The scalding method which involve either the traditional pull through scalding or the condensation scalding system used in pork processing is becoming increasingly more important because of operating costs.
- Dehairing: This involves removing the hair from slaughtered pigs. The best dehairing results can only be achieved if the dehairing equipment is optimally designed for the scalding system. In addition to the equipment used, factors such as the scalding time, scalding temperature, breed of pig and seasonal influences can all affect the dehairing result.
- Gambrelling: After dehairing, the pigs are gambrelled or hooked and hoisted up to the buffer rail in front of the machine/ dressing line conveyor.
2.Carcass Finishing involves the following processes;
- Evisceration Process: This process can be done manually or automatically with the overall objective of optimizing labour use, maximizing slaughter efficiency and minimizing contamination .This involve the removal of the internal organs of the pigs either manually or automatically using equipment.
- Chilling and Cooling: Most modern pork processing plants are equipped with a quick chill tunnel. This system reduces the carcass temperature as quickly as possible in order to avoid unnecessary weight loss.
- Cutting: The pigs are cut according to the desired shapes and forms.
- Dispatch: The cut pork are loaded and packaged for consumers or further processed .
3. Further Processing:
This stage involves processing the cut pork into ham, sausage , bacon, etc.
Pork Processing Equipment:
Pork can be processed into wide range of products using different pork processing equipment. The Pork Processing Equipment are;
- Meat Tumbling Machine.
- Meat Smoking Machine.
- Meat Grinding Machine.
- Brine Injector Machine.
- Sausage Filling Machine.
- Meatball Forming Machine.
- Meat Chopping Machine.
- Meat Patty Production.
- Automatic Meatball Production Line.
Companies that manufacture Pork Processing Equipment:
They include –
- Millard Manufacturing Limited
- Nanjing Hongwei Slaughtering Machinery Limited
- Henan Manufacturing , Machinery & Equipment Limited.
Pork processing is indeed a hidden goldmine. It is very lucrative and gives a huge return on investment.
Below is the video of Pork processing Procedure.