The theme of World Food Day 2019 is “Our Actions Are Our Future. Healthy Diets for A #ZeroHunger World”. It focuses on tackling global hunger. Globalization , Urbanization and income growth , our changing diets and habits play leading role.
There is a great shift from seasonal , fiber rich food and plant based food to refined , starches, sugar, fats , salt, processed food, meat , etc . very unhealthy . Urban dwellers rely more on ready made food , supermarkets, fast food , street food, etc.
Due to unhealthy diets and sedentary lifestyles obesity in people is increasing in developed , low-income countries.
According to FAO, 670 Million adults and 120 million adolescents age group of 5 to 18 years are obese and 40 million children under 5 are overweight while 820 million people suffer from hunger.
A healthy diet meets the nutritional needs of people by providing sufficient, safe , nutritious and diverse food to lead a good life and reduce the risk of diseases.
8 Reasons Why Zero Hunger Changes the World
- Zero hunger could save the lives of 3.1 million children a year
- Well-nourished mothers have healthier babies with stronger immune systems
- Ending child undernutrition could increase a developing country’s GDP by 16.5 percent
- A dollar invested in hunger prevention could return between $15 and $139 in benefits
- Proper nutrition early in life could mean 46 percent more in lifetime earnings
- Eliminating iron deficiency in a population could boost workplace productivity by 20 percent
- Ending nutrition-related child mortality could increase a workforce by 9.4 percent
- Zero hunger can help build a safer, more prosperous world for everyone